Why is this role important?
“A shiny car is nothing without a good engine,” says Francois Gaudin, one of the stellar engineers on our development team, when asked this question.
As a company, we have an ambitious vision a to enter new markets and to dramatically expand our product offering. This growth requires support across the organization and the backend engineering team is responsible for building a robust engine for powering all these new services and products. The backend engineer in this role will work with product and engineering leaders to create the systems needed for staying a step or two ahead of the frontend engineering team. The person in this role will work on an interesting mixture of product-led and engineering-led projects and has the opportunity to wear as many hats as he or she would like.
What are examples of work that a Backend Engineer may do at PresenceLearning?
- Build the backend for a secure, shared browser experience for multiple users across multiple platforms
- Design and build a collaborative scheduling and calendar management system to help parents schedule recurring appointments with clinicians at the end of at therapy session
- Abstract user authentication into its own app that communicates with an ESB
- Develop a system that logs all access to patient records and alerts us of suspicious behavior
- Refactor dashboard queries to speed up one of our most-accessed features
- Create a reputation system so parents can easily find quality clinicians
What type of experience profile are we looking for?
- Deep expertise in your favorite dynamic programming language: Python, Ruby, etc. with a strong preference for Python
- Significant experience with a modern web framework with a preference for Django
- Experience working with relational databases (MySQL (pref), PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Experience shipping products
- Significant understanding of object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithms, design patterns, systems engineering, scalability, databases, code optimization, unit testing, debugging, continuous delivery, and version control
- Strong experience with modern browsers and debuggers
- Experience with Angular, Less, and Grunt (our frontend toolkit) a bonus
- Opinions on product design and UX
- Work well autonomously as well as a part of a cross-functional team
- A startup-person: hands-on, proactive, sees their role as more than just a job
- Talented, passionate, and fun colleagues
- Competitive salary
- Flexible vacation policy – take time off when you need it
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Equipment, workspace, and productivity tools of your choice
This role is based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA and reports to our VP of Engineering.
[button color=”#ef701b” link=”https://jobs.jobvite.com/presencelearning/job/oahm1fwy” target=”_blank”]Apply[/button]